Washington, D.C. – As a follow up to the recent hearing with FBI Director Christopher Wray, Congresswoman Elise Stefanik led a letter, along with Ranking Member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence Mike Turner and Ranking Member of the House Committee on the Judiciary Jim Jordan, demanding answers from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Director Christopher Wray for the FBI’s relationship with Shahed Hussein, who was responsible for the tragic Schoharie limo crash in 2018 that resulted in the loss of 18 innocent lives.
“The Schoharie limo tragedy could have been avoided had a blind eye not been turned on this FBI informant, his associates, and their history of breaking the law,” Stefanik said. “The Schoharie community deserves answers for this tragic loss of life, and I am proud to advocate for them at the highest levels.”
In the letter, the lawmakers outlined, “Statewide reporting has brought to the public’s attention serious concerns surrounding the owner of the limousine company, Shahed Hussein, a longtime informant of the FBI for prominent antiterrorism cases, and his multiple run-is with the law and shady business dealings while working with the FBI. During his time as an informant, Hussein is said to have lied on tax returns and immigration papers, committed bankruptcy fraud, refused to pay property taxes, and falsified safety inspection reports at Prestige Limousine that would have prevented this tragedy. Further, his son, who himself operated a number of the day-to-day operations of the limousine business, may have referenced Hussein’s work for the FBI to intimidate regulators and law enforcement.”
Citing that Congress is constitutionally entitled to information regarding the FBI’s relationship with Shahed Hussein and its knowledge of Hussein’s criminal activities, Stefanik demanded the FBI turn over all documents related to Shahed Hussein as well as answers to the following questions:
- Was the FBI aware of Shahed Hussein’s violation of numerous laws while engaged in activities unrelated to any case or investigation he was informing on?
- Did the FBI ever intervene to protect Shahed Hussein from prosecution for any unrelated violations of the law?
- Was the FBI aware that Shahed Hussein’s associates would reference his work for the FBI to intimidate regulators and law enforcement? If so, how did the FBI respond?
- Was the FBI aware that Shahed Hussein’s businesses, and Prestige Limousine in particular, were in repeated violation of New York State laws and regulations?
- When Prestige Limousine was involved the 2018 crash, was the FBI informed? If so, when, and by whom?
- Did the FBI, in any way, involve itself in the investigation of the 2018 crash?
- Was the FBI involved, in any way, in the trial of Shahed Hussein’s son, to include securing his plea deal?
Earlier this month, Stefanik questioned Director Wray on the FBI’s involvement in the crash at the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence’s hearing. Congresswoman Stefanik intends to issue a subpoena in a Republican Majority to compel any and all information.
Read the full letter here