Congresswoman Elise Stefanik proudly represents New York's 21st District in the House of Representatives in her third term in office. She is a Member of the Armed Services Committee, the Committee on Education and Labor, and the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. On the Armed Services Committee, Congresswoman Stefanik serves as Ranking Member for the Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and Capabilities and is a Member of the Subcommittee on Readiness. On the Committee on Education and Labor, she serves on the Subcommittees on Higher Education & Workforce Development and Civil Rights & Human Services.
Congresswoman Stefanik is proudly the youngest Republican woman ever elected to Congress in United States history.
Among Congresswoman Stefanik’s accomplishments and initiatives, she:
- Successfully led the New York State delegation in saving Fort Drum from up to 16,000 military personnel cuts due to sequestration.
- Authored the Be Open Act – legislation that passed the House of Representatives and was signed into law by the President. This was the largest fix to Obamacare of the 114th Congress and repealed the auto-enrollment mandate that reduces choices in health coverage and has created confusion that can lead to significant tax penalties on both the employer and employee.
- Authored the Flexible Pell Grant for 21st Century Students Act -- bipartisan legislation developed from her higher education roundtables that will help students complete a postsecondary education quickly and at a lower cost.
- Helped pass the Bipartisan Budget Act – a two year budget agreement that lifted the devastating defense sequester cuts and put an end to crisis-to-crisis governing.
- Was the sole freshman negotiator for two consecutive years on the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) and fought hard to include language to help protect and strengthen Fort Drum.
- Co-authored U.S./Canadian pre-clearance legislation that passed the House of Representatives in 2016 and will help grow North Country commerce, tourism and border security.
- Brought a new commitment to transparency to Congress, posting her legislative votes to Facebook and keeping her website updated with her legislative work and public schedule.
- Has worked hard on behalf of North Country veterans, helping to recover hard earned benefits from the VA and helping pass critical legislation to support our North Country heroes, including the Clay Hunt Suicide Prevention for American Veterans Act.
- Helped pass the 21st Century Cures Act -- critical, bipartisan legislation designed to help accelerate the discovery, development, and delivery of promising new treatments and cures for patients with diseases ranging from Alzheimer’s to Lyme.
Congresswoman Elise M. Stefanik was born and raised in Upstate New York. Prior to serving in Congress, Elise worked at her family’s Upstate New York small business. Growing up in her family’s small business, she learned, lived and understands the values of hard work, perseverance, challenges and risks that go along with building, operating and growing small businesses in the North Country.
Congresswoman Stefanik’s policy focus includes:
- Creating jobs and economic opportunities for small businesses and hard working families in Upstate New York.
- Reducing the out-of-control tax and regulatory burdens facing small businesses by reforming the tax code to be flatter and fairer and eliminating red tape.
- Repealing Obamacare and replacing it with common sense solutions to lower health care costs and improve quality and access.
- Fighting for fiscal responsibility by balancing the budget and protecting and preserving entitlements.
- Expanding access to broadband throughout the district.
- Supporting Upstate farmers – the backbone of our North Country communities.
- Protecting Fort Drum and advocating for veterans and military families.
- Pursuing energy policies that help North Country families and businesses.
- Finding solutions for hard working North Country families to help make education higher quality and more affordable.
- Promoting and strengthening U.S.-Canadian trade relations.
Congresswoman Stefanik served as Director of Vice Presidential Debate Prep to Paul Ryan where she oversaw all debate preparations for the Republican Vice Presidential nominee. She served as Director of Communications for the Foreign Policy Initiative, which launched Defending Defense, a coalition of think tanks warning of the dangers of the sequester.
From 2006 - 2009, Congresswoman Stefanik served in the West Wing of the White House as part of President George W. Bush's Domestic Policy Council Staff and in the Chief of Staff's office where she assisted in overseeing the policy development process on all economic and domestic policy issues.
As the first member of her immediate family to graduate from college, Congresswoman Stefanik graduated with Honors from Harvard University. She currently serves on the Senior Advisory Committee of Harvard's Institute of Politics, the largest political undergraduate organization.
She graduated cum laude from Albany Academy for Girls, the oldest continuous all girls' school in the country. She lives in Schuylerville, NY, with her husband Matt.
To download Congresswoman Stefanik's official picture, click here.