House Passes Bipartisan Higher Education Initiatives
Washington, D.C. – Today, the House of Representatives passed a series of key higher education initiatives that Congresswoman Elise Stefanik (R-NY-21) and her colleagues on the Committee on Education and the Workforce recently worked on. These bipartisan proposals empower students and families, simplify and improve the financial aid process, and enhance existing support and accountability for institutions serving minority students.
“As a Member of the Higher Education Subcommittee, I am committed to increasing access to high quality, affordable education for North Country students and families,” said Congresswoman Stefanik. “The bipartisan legislation that passed out of the House today will help reform the student loan process, increase transparency in higher education, and increase financial literacy. I commend my colleagues for passing these important bills.”
The bills include:
- The Accessing Higher Education Opportunities Act (H.R. 5529), led by Reps. Joe Heck (R-NV) and Ruben Hinojosa (D-TX), will help students at Hispanic-Serving Institutions pursue a career as a physician, dentist, or other health care professional and enhance existing support for Hispanic students pursuing an education. For more information, click here.
- The Simplifying the Application for Student Aid Act (H.R. 5528), led by Reps. Heck and Jared Polis (D-CO), will reform the federal student aid process to help students make timely financial decisions about their education and better prepare for college. Among other measures, the bill will ensure students are able to use income data from two years prior when applying for aid and receive accurate aid information as soon as possible. For more information, click here.
- The HBCU Capital Financing Improvement Act (H.R. 5530), led by Reps. Alma Adams (D-NC) and Bradley Byrne (R-AL), will improve access to and oversight of an existing program that enables Historically Black Colleges and Universities to improve their campuses to better serve their students. For more information, click here.
- The Empowering Students Through Enhanced Financial Counseling Act (H.R. 3179), led by Reps. Brett Guthrie (R-KY) and Suzanne Bonamici (D-OR), will promote financial literacy by enhancing the timing, frequency, and content of counseling for all recipients of federal financial aid. For more information, click here.
- The Strengthening Transparency in Higher Education Act (H.R. 3178), led by Higher Education and Workforce Training Subcommittee Chairwoman Virginia Foxx (R-NC) and Rep. Gregorio Sablan (D-MP), will help students gain access to the facts they need to make an informed decision about where to pursue their education. For more information, click here.