Washington, D.C. – Today, Congresswoman Elise Stefanik hosted Assistant Secretary of the Navy James Geurts on a visit to Norsk Titanium and participated in a discussion and tour of the facility.
Congresswoman Stefanik was able to brief Norsk leadership today on her continued efforts to promote advanced manufacturing initiatives inside Congress and the Department of Defense. In her role as the Ranking Member of the House Armed Services Subcommittee responsible for the Department of Defense science and technology efforts, she has prioritized advanced manufacturing efforts in the National Defense Authorization Act, including the establishment of Defense Manufacturing Institutes and additional funding for additive manufacturing technologies. In the recently released House Defense Appropriations bill for Fiscal Year 2020, over $400 million dollars has been designated for manufacturing technology initiatives, including an additional $63 million for additive manufacturing.
“I was proud to host the Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Research, Development & Acquisition, Mr. James Geurts, at Norsk Titanium today,” said Congresswoman Stefanik. “It was an honor to deliver results for Norsk Titanium, a world-class North Country Development and Qualification Center. Today, I reiterated my continued dedication to ensuring advanced manufacturing is a priority for the House Armed Services Committee. Additive manufacturing parts and components save time and resources, enable more expedient maintenance and mission readiness, and save lives.”
"Advanced Manufacturing is already changing how the Navy and Marine Corps design, produce and support capabilities to increase agility and reduce cost," said James F. Geurts, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Research Development and Acquisition. "We are actively expanding our Advanced Manufacturing network and supplier base to accelerate the revolutionary impact that Advanced Manufacturing provides our Sailors and Marines operating around the world."
Today’s attendees included:
- Mr. James Geurts, Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Research, Development & Acquisition
- CAPT Seiko Okano, USN, Executive Assistant to Mr. Geurts
- Mr. William Bray, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Research, Development, Test & Evaluation
- Dr. Alan Pentz, Additive Manufacturing Lead, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Research, Development, Testing and Evaluation
- Mr. Garry Douglas, President and CEO, North Country Chamber of Commerce
- Ms. Tamara Morytko, COO, Norsk Titanium
- Mr. Scott McNulty, Site Manager and Director of Operations, Norsk Titanium