Washington, D.C. – Today, Congresswoman Elise Stefanik voted against Speaker Pelosi’s so-called “For the People’s Act.” This partisan bill would in fact undermine the American people, by imposing a sweeping federal rewrite of America’s election system to strip states of their power and consolidate it in Washington. Congresswoman Stefanik issued the following statement:
“It is unsurprising that one of the first bills Speaker Pelosi brought to the House Floor is a massive partisan power grab to advance her Far Left agenda. Rather than support reforms to strengthen our election laws, increase ballot integrity, and prevent the irregularities that Americans witnessed in the 2020 election, Democrats are doubling down on billions of taxpayer funded political campaigns, no voter ID, mass mail-in-voting, ballot harvesting, late voting, and other dangerous measures to indefinitely solidify their power in Washington. I promised to fight to strengthen our election integrity and security, and I will continue to do so."
Specifically, H.R. 1 would:
- Allow taxpayer funding of federal campaigns for the first time ever
- Ban voter ID laws
- Prevent removal of ineligible voters from registration rolls
- Allow felons and minors to vote
- Mandate 15 days of early voting and same-day registration
- Mandate no-fault absentee ballots, banning witness signatures
- Accept absentee ballots received up to 10 days after Election Day
- Legalize ballot harvesting
- Automatically register all ‘individuals” instead of “citizens” from all state and federal databases – consequently registering large numbers of ineligible voters
And in one last effort to protect these unconstitutional measures, the bill prohibits any lawsuits from being filed to challenge their constitutionality in any court, except in the District Court for the District of Columbia.