Washington, D.C. – Congresswoman Stefanik, along with Rep. Ann Kuster (D-NH) and a bipartisan group of their colleagues, introduced a bill to make the Northern Border Regional Commission (NRBC) grant program more accessible, allowing for the NRBC to temporarily contribute 100% of the cost of projects who are awarded funding. Traditionally, NBRC grant recipients must come up with 20% of the total cost of a project from some other funding source, while NBRC finances the other 80%. This bill temporarily waives the 20% matching requirement in order to encourage participation and ease the burden on recent grantees.
The NRBC supports economic development and community projects across the Northern Border. All counties in New York’s 21st Congressional District are eligible for NBRC funding, following Congresswoman Stefanik’s successful efforts to expand eligibility in the most recent Farm Bill.
“The Northern Border Regional Commission grants and projects have made a significant impact in our communities located along the Canadian border,” said Congresswoman Stefanik. “I have seen the success of many of these projects firsthand, and this bill is an important step in increasing access to the program in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. This legislation aims to encourage participation and allow for the development of several important projects for our North Country communities. Despite these challenging times, I will continue to advocate for the NBRC and the positive impact it has on our district.”
"The Northern Border Regional Commission has become an especially valuable source of diverse and flexible support for North Country projects, and will be even more important in the next few years as we look to sustain and reignite sector of the economy," said Garry Douglas, President of the North Country Chamber of Commerce. "Congresswoman Stefanik's efforts to waive the match as we go through this challenging time is welcome and important. It has our full support and would, I feel sure, facilitate additional projects which otherwise just can't meet the requirements now."