Congresswoman Elise Stefanik proudly represents New York's 21st District in the House of Representatives in her fourth term in office.
In May 2021, Congresswoman Stefanik was elected by her colleagues to serve in House Leadership as Chair of the House Republican Conference.
The Center for Effective Lawmaking ranked her in the top 10 most effective Republican members, and the #1 most effective for commerce policy impacting small businesses and workers.
She is a member of the House Armed Services Committee, the Committee on Education and Labor, and the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. On the Armed Services Committee, Congresswoman Stefanik serves on the new Subcommittee on Cyber, Innovative Technologies, and Information Systems, and as a member of the subcommittee on Strategic Forces. On the Committee on Education and Labor, she serves on the Higher Education and Workforce Investment, and Workforce Protections Subcommittees.
Congresswoman Stefanik was born and raised in Upstate New York. Prior to serving in Congress, she worked at her family’s small business. Her upbringing taught her the hard work and perseverance necessary to build, operate and grow small businesses in the North Country. Congresswoman Stefanik graduated with Honors from Harvard University, as the first member of her immediate family to receive a college degree.
From 2006 - 2009, Congresswoman Stefanik served in the West Wing of the White House on President George W. Bush's Domestic Policy Council Staff and in the Office of the Chief of Staff, where she assisted in overseeing the policy development process on all economic and domestic policy issues. Congresswoman Stefanik served as the Director of Vice-Presidential Debate Prep to Paul Ryan, and as the Director of Communications for the Foreign Policy Initiative.
Elise’s family has owned a home on Lake Champlain in Essex County for over 30 years. Elise lives in Schuylerville with her husband Matt and their newborn son Sam.
Download Congresswoman Stefanik's official picture here.
Download Congresswoman Stefanik's official bio here.
CONGRESSWOMAN STEFANIK’S PRIORITIES:
- Creating jobs and economic opportunities
- Expanding workforce development and training programs for North Country workers
- Reducing the excessive, burdensome tax and regulatory burdens facing small businesses
- Supporting Fort Drum and advocating for veterans and military families
- Protecting our Second Amendment rights
- Expanding access to rural broadband throughout the district
- Supporting Upstate farmers and agricultural producers
- Strengthening North Country healthcare by lowering costs, improving quality, increasing accessibility, and bringing transparency
- Fighting to deliver solutions to lower the cost of prescription drugs
- Delivering funding for rural hospitals, communtiy health centers, and clinics in the North Country
- Protecting Social Security, Medicare, and other critical programs for North Country seniors and future generations
- Promoting and strengthening U.S.-Canadian trade relations
- Combatting the national security and economic threats posed by the Chinese Communist Government
- Pursuing all-of-the-above energy policies that help North Country and improve American energy independence
- Finding solutions for higher quality and more affordable education
- Strengthening America’s immigration system and border security
- Supporting North Country law enforcement officers and US-Canada Border Patrol
- Combating the opioid epidemic and mental health issues
CONGRESSWOMAN STEFANIK’S RESULTS:
- Helped pass five comprehensive COVID-19 federal relief packages, delivering much needed funding to North Country small businesses, families, and workers
- Delivered millions of dollars to North Country hospitals, Federally Qualified Community Health Centers, and other healthcare providers during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Successfully wrote a formula for HHS to ensure the disbursement of federally appropriated funds went directly to rural hospitals
- Secured an increase in funding for the Essential Air Service program that provides critical funding for rural airports and allows smaller communities like those in the North Country to access the national air transportation system
- Successfully led the New York State delegation in saving Fort Drum up to 16,000 military personnel cuts due to sequestration
- Secured Fort Drum as the preferred East Coast Missile Defense Site
- Recovered $2.6 million in Social Security Benefits for North Country seniors
- Recovered more than $4 million in benefits for North Country veterans
- Helped pass the Clay Hunt Suicide Prevention for American Veterans Act
- Helped pass the United States Mexico Trade Agreement (USMCA), expanding market access for our North Country farmers and manufacturers
- Worked directly with the FCC Chairman to ensure 46,000 unserved internet locations in New York State were included in their latest rural broadband funding package
- Reauthorized the School-Based Health Centers program through 2024 to provide federal funding for students to receive affordable healthcare
- Authored and helped pass the Be Open Act – a massive fix to Obamacare that repealed the auto-enrollment mandate
- Authored and helped pass the Flexible Pell Grant for 21st Century Students Act -- bipartisan legislation developed to help North Country students complete a postsecondary education quickly and at a lower cost
- Co-authored and helped pass the US/Canada pre-clearance legislation to help grow North Country commerce, tourism and border security
- Helped pass the 21st Century Cures Act -- critical, bipartisan legislation designed to help accelerate the discovery, development, and delivery of promising new treatments and cures for patients with diseases ranging from Alzheimer’s to Lyme
- Authored and passed the Women’s Commemorative Coin Act
- Returned billions of tax dollars back to the district in the form of federal grants
To read about all of the results Congresswoman Stefanik has delivered for the North Country, click here.